- Plan your trips before leaving and plan your stops efficiently. Don’t backtrack whenever possible. This will also save you time.
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated. This can save you up to 5% of your fuel.
- Make sure air filters are clean. Dirty air filters decrease engine efficiency.
- Don’t brake hard or accelerate rapidly. Watch ahead for stop signs or lights and take your foot off the gas when approaching one.
- If your vehicle has overdrive, use it. This slows the speed of your engine, saving gas and increasing the life of your engine.
- Take anything out of your vehicle that you don’t need. A lighter vehicle will get better mileage.
- Carpool or take public transit if available.
- Only use air conditioning when needed. Air conditioning causes your gas mileage to decrease.
- Keep your vehicle maintained. Regular tune-ups and oil changes will ensure your vehicle is running efficiently with minimal emissions.
**image courtesy of Flickr user Toni_V